Friday, February 5, 2016

Confessions of a Pacifist




In a recent dream I had one of my granddaughters got lost in a crowd.  She was walking right behind me and when I turned around she had disappeared.  

I began running back up the broad steps we were descending, searching for her in a mass of people.  I was frantic but finally spied her a short distance ahead and scrambled to get to her.  Just as I got to her I saw a man in front of me reaching out to grab her.  

The stranger put his hand on her as I caught up to him.  I pulled him away, put my hand on his shoulder and said quietly, ‘If you harm her, I will kill you’.

I woke up then and knew I had meant every word I had said. 

I was a little surprised at my ready willingness to kill.  I am not normally a combative person, but in that dream, and in my life, I know that some things are worth fighting--even killing or dying--for.  

Most things, however, are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment